Saturday, July 24, 2010

Week One

Ok, so I'm finally getting the hang of this living in another country thing and I figured it was time to start this endeavor which I'm sure I'll get made fun of. As the title of this blog suggests, I will attempt to document my transition and experiences as I live and work half way around the world away from my home of the good ole USA. Wait does that sentence even make sense?

Anyway, one week in and I'm starting to settle in to work. Everyone in this city speaks awesome English and have been very friendly. The city itself is beautiful (pictures eventually will be shown) and quite the contrast to NYC. Actually, it's probably most similar to the Park Slope area right next to the park, 'cept with less WASP moms pushing strollers. Instead, lots more blondes. Lots of 'em.

So number one thing I'm trying to take care of right now is to lock down a permanent apartment so I can move out of this closet that the company set me up with for the first two weeks. It's mad small, about 20 square meters. Right now the apartment that I'm on the verge of getting is fully furnished/decked out, pretty big (by European standards) and has a hilariously awesome landlord. The guy is from Oslo originally, but has lived around and is now about to move to Australia. His previous professions include cook, horse racer, Doberman Pinscher breeder, software development company owner, and currently professional diver. So pretty much awesome. I'll give the full apartment breakdown once I get in there, keep your fingers crossed for me.

Also, last night I had my first after work drinking excursion and inevitably got into a discussion over the socialized healthcare with a self-professed Norwegian communist. I don't know how I keep getting myself into these situations but I am putting a stop to it now. No more politic talks, I swear!!

Now to go for a run in the Slottsparken.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulation for the test. Why not 100%? Next time you must try harder. Thanks for the photographs. Oslo looks great even though the weather sucks. Back here we enjoy 100 degrees and 90%. Reeeeally balmy. It seems you are having fun. Just don't forget the work.
    MWM

    ReplyDelete