Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Beautiful Day

The weather was far better today and so I decided to take my camera with me to take better pictures than those gloomy ones I showed yesterday. First off a better picture of the Royal Palace, I thought the Queen would appreciate it.

Yay royalty!


Also nearby is a very special Norwegian landmark, the Nationaltheatret, Norwegian for National Theatre. I know you all are impressed by my rapidly progressing language mastery.

Yay theatre, I guess. Ugh, opera is sooo much cooler...


As "Norway's largest and most prominent venue for performance of the dramatic arts" it is a very popular place for annoying tourists who want to get in people's way to ogle and take crappy pictures. Not me of course, I am an artiste! Much like this flamboyantly suave fellow...

"Hey there sailor!"


Apparently Ludvig Holberg here is actually a very important and influential part of the history of Norway, but I dunno, he seems like a fruity pederast to me. I mean look at him! I can just hear him saying, "Hear little boy, want some candy?!" I took candy from a stranger once. ONCE.

Anywho, on to Slottsparken, the first of Oslo's gorgeous parks that I saw which is situated just behind the royal palace.





I think the pictures speak for themselves with this one. The city in general is full of trees but the parks are something else entirely. Visiting Oslo in summertime is most definitely recommended.

Next up is Frognerparken, the city's largest and most popular park and also home of truly impressive Vigeland Sculpture Park. The sculpture park is very cool and the park in general is a very happenin' place. Even on a tuesday evening it is full of people grilling (over what appeared to be open fires in random locations on the grass), playing soccer, sunbathing and just generally chillaxin.

The Bridge

The Fountain

Closer The Fountain

The Monolith

The Wheel of Life


The Monolith was particularly rad, kind of reminds me of The Tower of Babel but with more guy on girl action. These Nords got the right idea.

Today also reinforced a lesson I've learned since my time here, there are two very different types of crosswalks in Oslo, those with lights and those without them. The ones without lights are like no-fly zones for cars, if you even look like you will start to cross one cars will practically crash themselves to let you through. The ones with lights on the other hand appear to be a sick game that Norwegians have invented that involves speeding up, scaring, and attempting to slaughter any nearby pedestrians. I swear that a driver today swerved at me because I was took close to the curb for his liking. Walkers beware.

Random additional notes of the day:
- I found a local lax team to join up with, super stoked for that.
- So far it seems like the most popular American sports gear I see rocked by the locals are Nationals hats, Jerry Rice 49ers jerseys, and of course goddamn Yankees t-shirts

Until next time.

3 comments:

  1. Is there even a single solitary SPECK of dirt in that damned country?

    Awesome about the Nats hats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap ton of greenery, there are trees literally everywhere. Glad you guys are liking the blog, I will try to get up more pictures of the locals soon for all yours' enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete